Thursday, January 4, 2018

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks ~ Week 1 January 4, 2018: by Nancy Fermazin: Start~ Found the Maiden Name of Adolphus Ames' wife: Sarah Julia Rice daughter of Ephraim Rice and Sarah Whitney

  I have decided to accept Amy Johnson Crow's  "52 Ancestors In 52 Weeks" challenge. The first prompt in the challenge is "start", so I am choosing to start with a break through in one of my Brick Walls: Sarah Julia Rice wife of Adolphus Ames. Sarah Ames is my second great grandmother.

 I had a great genealogy break through this past week.  I found the death certificate for one of Adolphus AMES' sons: William Henry Ames

In the Ancestry hints I received a hint and verified the hint.  Henry Ames who was born in 1847 in Pennsylvania ended up in Michigan on the family's migration to Wisconsin. In Michigan he went by William H Ames.  On his Michigan death certificate he listed his parents as Dolphus Ames and Julis Rice!



I had my DNA tested on Ancestry DNA. I matched with Joel Rice who I had been following in McKean County Pennsylvania.  I suspected Joel Rice was the brother to my Adolphus' wife but I could not prove it.  Well now I am pretty confident that Joel Rice is Julia Ames' brother.

At least now I know that Julia's maiden name was RICE.  Have lots more proofing to do but I am on the trail. My mother's first cousin Roger Family Tree DNA matched with Ames in Michigan. I feel the Ames he matched in Michigan with are an uncle's family of Adolphus Ames, a Samuel Ames who is his brother.  

I also found that my William H Ames served in the Civil War.

 Name: William H Ames
Residence: Bainbridge, Michigan
Age at Enlistment: 17
Enlistment Date: 23 Mar 1865
Rank at enlistment: Private
Enlistment Place: Bainbridge, Michigan
State Served: Michigan
Survived the War?: Yes
Service Record: Enlisted in Company U, Michigan 24th Infantry Regiment on 25 Mar 1865.Mustered out on 28 Jun 1865 at Detroit, MI. [served 3 months]

Found  widow pension records for William H Ames wife.




On the death certificate it looks like he was buried in  Portland, Indiana.  Will have to pursue that lead also. 

LOTS MORE SLEUTHING TO DO. But THANK YOU Ancestry for these Ancestry hints.




No comments:

Post a Comment